Tuesday, January 3, 2012

ODDLY TASTY

My nephew gave his mom this recipe "in case
you don't like what Aunt Jenny sends." Love.
Today was day 1 of vegetarian month, and my brother and I cooked the same rice dish 200 miles apart. Was it fried rice? Was it risotto? It was hard to say, but my sister-in-law described it perfectly: oddly tasty. It was a strange dish, and maybe a little far out for the very first day, but in the end most of the kids ate it and we all got a serving of soy, mushrooms, and squash so I'll call it a success.

Dinner table conversation was interesting. Owen: "What's wrong with meat anyway?" My nephew: "I just don't understand WHY we have to be vegetarian!" But we all survived and everyone is looking forward to tomorrow's offering: Spicy Peanut Sesame Noodles. I'll share that recipe with you now in case you want to cook along.

RECIPE: SPICY PEANUT SESAME NOODLES

P.S. If you'd like a copy of my weekly meal plans, including recipes and shopping lists, leave me a note in the comments.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jen, I came across your blog think its great. As a vegetarian-wannabe, I'd love to see your menus. However, I hesitate posting my personal email address publicly. Do you have a email address for your blog that I can send my info to? Thanks, Laura.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure, you can email me at jen@mylifeinred.net.

    I plan to figure out how to post the meal plans here, too, eventually. For now I am emailing them.

    I'm glad you like my blog! I'm kind of a wannabe vegetarian too. I did vegetarian month last year too. This year is easier.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Jen! I came across your blog via your SIL, Beth. I follow her on Pintrest and we are friends on Facebook. My grandmother just had a heart attack and triple bypass surgery at 82 and my mother had a heart attack in 2001 at age 44. Both my mom and grandmother were not candidates in the physical sense for a heart attack. I, on the other hand, am over weight, do not exercise on a regular basis, have much stress in my life and do not watch what I eat. I feel I am on a direct course for a heart attack with my genetics and environmental (personal) influences. I would love to start following and using your recipes to help me start changing my life and the lives of my husband and step-daughters. Any advice on how to start an exercise plan and get my family in the right mind set to start as well, would be great! Thanks for this resource! All the best to you and your family.
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melissa, thanks so much for your comment. I'm very glad you are ready to change the things you can in your life to decrease your risk of heart disease. Go Red for Women and The Heart Truth (links on right on the blog), are great resources for assessing your risk. I will think about a beginning exercise plan and post about it - thanks for the idea and challenge!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete